This is a disturbing development because:
- 70% of all new jobs will require some post-secondary education, but not a four-year degree;
- four year colleges and universities are increasingly becoming too expensive for low and moderate income students;
- many students find technical colleges' hands-on education better suited to their learning styles;
- as baby boomer retire there will be a shortage of middle skills workers, the very skilled and technical workers that technical colleges produce and business and industry needs;
- as public technical colleges reduce programs in response to budget cuts, students will gravitate to the highly exploitative for-profit college sector.