The New York times reports that unemployment is soaring worldwide.
- Worldwide job losses could hit 50 million by the end of 2009
- Even highly skilled, white collar workers are being laid off
- The International Monetary Fund expects global economic growth to reach its lowest point since the Great Depression
- High unemployment rates have already led to protests in Latvia, Chile, Greece, Bulgaria and Finland and strikes in Britain and France.
- The United States Director of Intelligence, Dennis C. Blair, informed Congress that the instability caused by the global recession has become the nation's biggest security threat, outpacing terrorism.
It's hard to take the Republicans' new found fiscal conservatism seriously since the 2001 tax cuts they enacted cost $1.3 trillion and the preemptive war they unanimously supported is projected to cost $3 trillion, significantly more the stimulus package.In 2003 anyone who opposed the invasion of Iraq was accused of being unpatriotic.
What does this say about those who voted against the stimulus package now that the greatest threat to U.S. security is rising unemployment?